As Kids Head Back To School,
Let’s Keep Them Safe
As the kids head back to school, we should all be extra careful on the roads, in school zones and around buses. Remember to watch for bikes, too! Here are some tips for both parents and kids to make sure everyone stays safe.
Use caution on the roads
- There are going to be a lot more kids on the sidewalks and streets, so take it slow and always be aware of your surroundings, especially when school starts and ends for the day.
- Watch out for school zones! They’re usually easy to spot, as many have flashing signs indicating a slower speed limit.
- Remember to follow school-bus rules. You aren’t allowed to pass the bus on either side of the road when the red lights are flashing. Even when the lights stop, make sure the coast is clear before moving on. Kids can move quickly and erratically.
- Be especially careful in school or child-care parking lots and loading zones.
Teach kids to be safe while walking
A few minutes explaining basic safety rules can help keep your kids safe when they’re walking to or from school.
- Always use marked crosswalks when crossing streets and look both ways twice.
- Do not assume that drivers can see you. Try to make eye contact with them, if possible, when crossing the street.
- Watch for driveways when walking on the sidewalk and be aware of cars that are turning or backing up.
- Don’t chase a ball, pet or anything else into the street!
Help them stay safe on their bikes
- Make sure your child wears a properly fitted helmet every time he or she rides a bike.
- Before the bicycle is ridden, do a quick inspection to ensure it is working properly and reflectors are in place.
- Show your kids how to ride on the right side of the road with traffic and to stay as far to the right as possible.
- Encourage your child to walk his or her bike across busy intersections.
- Explain to your child why no one should ride on the handlebars.
- Set curfews so your child is not riding a bicycle at dusk or in the dark.
Take it slow, and let’s have a happy and safe school year!